The health and wellness industry has been long known for pushing trendy ingredients and obscure superfoods as must have inclusions in your diet. You may often wonder how they keep coming up with new gimmicky products to sell you, however many of these supplements have been used by various civilizations for thousands of years and have legitimate scientific backing. Sea vegetables like sea moss have been having a moment in recent years due to their nutritional content. If you are curious about the nutritional benefits of the best sea moss, keep reading.
What is Sea Moss?
Sea moss, also known as Irish sea moss, has been rising in popularity for years due to its many health benefits. Known also by its scientific classification Chondrus crispus, sea moss can be found growing year-round off the Atlantic shores off North America, Northern Europe, and the Caribbean Islands. It typically grows in tidepools and inlets and varies in color from dark purple to yellow.
While the best sea moss has just started gaining popularity in health and wellness culture, historians believe that humans have been harvesting and benefiting from it for centuries. The first known use of sea moss for medicinal use dates back to 600 BC. During this time sea moss was typically harvested for its carrageenan content. Carrageenan is naturally occurring in sea moss and can be used as a food thickening agent.
Sea moss started being used as a nutritional supplement during the potato famine in Ireland during the 1800s (hence the name Irish sea moss.) When the people grew desperate for food, they started eating the algae on the rocks for nutrients. The Irish also believed its high carrageenan content could help cure illnesses like the cold or flu. Even now, sea moss is commonplace in the diets of the people in Ireland and the Caribbean.
This brings us to the present where sea moss has been exploding in the health and wellness world. Many people have been praising it for being rich in vitamins, while being low in sugar, calories and fat. Its high nutrient density makes it a top choice for anyone looking for a solid nutritional supplement. Let’s take a look at some of the best uses for sea moss.
Five Use Cases for Sea Moss
1. Dietary Supplement: As previously mentioned, the best sea moss is dense in many key nutrients. This makes it an excellent supplement for anyone looking to increase their vitamin intake or anyone who struggles with appetite issues. Some of the vitamins that you can get from sea moss are:
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin B
2. Energy Booster: Due to the B vitamins and iron levels, the best sea moss acts as a fantastic natural energy booster. Iron is crucial in maintaining a healthy energy supply, so if you have a deficiency, you may feel fatigued and run down. Including the best sea moss in your diet can help keep your iron levels where they need to be to support an active lifestyle. B vitamins are also important in creating energy due to their role in helping the body store energy from food. The B2 and B9 vitamins in sea moss will help keep you energized throughout the day.
3. Face Mask for Better Skin: Calcium, vitamin K and potassium, which the best sea moss has high levels of, are powerful skin boosting nutrients. To reap these benefits, sea moss can be consumed or used topically. There are many recipes for a sea moss face mask if you would like to go the topical route, but regular consumption of sea moss will also benefit your skin. The antioxidants in the best sea moss are what makes it an excellent skin care tool. By promoting circulation to the face, it can help to reduce fine lines and wrinkles over time. The nutrient profile also helps to prevent signs of aging and inflammation. Additionally, if you struggle with oily skin, sea moss has been known to help curb excess oil production.
4. To Improve Gut Health: If you didn’t know already, your gut health is directly responsible for the health of many of the other systems in your body. A well-functioning gut is essential for a healthy immune system, clear skin, and weight maintenance. Sea moss can help improve the way your gut functions by breaking down into a gelatinous substance in your digestive system. This substance works to control any inflammation you may have in your gut, therefore improving your overall well-being.
5. To Improve Mental Health: The potassium contained in sea moss helps your cells to function. High-potassium foods are known to help with conditions like depression, anxiety, and fibromyalgia. There is even some preliminary research that suggests sea moss having the ability to protect brain tissue in people with Parkinson’s disease.
Adding Sea Moss to Your Diet
With its myriad of benefits, most people could benefit from adding sea moss to their diet. Sea moss is sold in many different forms and can be found in health food stores or online. Try sea moss to boost your health today.